1763 – 1835
Portrait of Lady Romilly
Watercolour and pencil
Image size: 9 ¼ x 6 ¾ inches
Alexander Pope was born in Cork in 1763, the son of Thomas Pope who was also a renowned portraitist. He studied in Dublin as a pupil of Hugh Douglas Hamilton. In 1977 and 1980 he submitted drawings and small portraits in watercolour to the Society of Artists in Dublin. In 1781 he returned to Cork, and practised as a portrait painter in miniatures and watercolours. His portraits are said to have been flattering and he was more anxious to produce a flattering picture rather than a true likeness.
Pope was involved in the theatrical world in Cork and eventually became a professional actor. He was very successful, for years performing the principal tragic parts at the Covent Garden, Drury Lane and Haymarket theatres in London. He also appeared frequently in Dublin. During his stage career he continued to paint portraits.In 1785 Pope contributed a portrait of ‘Mrs Siddons’ to the Royal Academy, and was a frequent exhibitor until 1821, submitting miniature, pencil and occasionally oil portraits. Many of his portraits, including several of prominent members of the acting profession, were engraved. Two portraits of Pope, one as ‘Henry VIII’ by Sharpe and another as ‘Hamlet’ by Gainsborough Dupont, are in the Garrick Club.
He was married three times: first in 1785 to Elizabeth Young, an actress, in Dublin. She died in 1797 and was buried in Westminster Abbey. His second marriage was in 1798 to Maria Anne Campion, a young widow (Mrs Spencer), an Irish actress. She died in 1803, aged 26, and was also buried in Westminster Abbey. Pope then married Clara Maria Leigh in 1807, the widow of Francis Wheatley RA. She was also an accomplished artist exhibiting frequently at the Royal Academy.
Alexander Pope died in March 1835, in his house in Store Street, Bedford Square, London.
Lady Anne Romilley (nee Garbett) was born in 1773 in Herefordshire and married Samuel Romilley in 1798, with whom she had two sons.
Samuel was a distinguished barrister at Grays Inn, and became a KC in 1800. He went on to become Solicitor Gemeral, and subsequently a Member of Parliament for the Whig Party. He was a vocal opponent of the slave trade and gave his support to the William Wilberforce Abolition campaign. He was a passionate speaker on this subject and once earned a standing ovation in the House of Commons, an incredibly rare occurrence.
Romilley was also a leading campaigner for the reformation of criminal law. In 1808 he managed to repeal the Elizabethan statute which made it a capital offence to steal from the person. In 1812 he had repealed another statute of Elizabeth I making it a capital offence for a soldier or a mariner to beg without a pass from a magistrate or his commanding officer. He succeeded in abolishing hanging, drawing and quartering in 1814.
In October 1818 Anne died on the Isle of Wight, after a long illness. Her death was a terrible shock to Samuel, and after returning to the family home in Russell Square he became delirious. Whilst unwatched for a moment he sprung from his bed and slit his throat and died within a few moments. His nephew, Peter Mark Roget, attended to Romilly in his final moments. His last words were recorded as 'My dear, I wish ...' presumably regarding his late wife.
Anna Katrina Zinkeisen
Portrait of Janet & Anne Zinkeisen
Oil on canvas, signed lower right
Image size: 32 x 28 inches
Fine Arts Society 1948
Born at Kilcreggan, Dumbartonshire on 29 August 1901, daughter of Victor Zinkeisen, a timber merchant, and his wife Clare née Bolton-Charles and in 1901 the family moved to Middlesex. Anna and her sister Doris attended Harrow School of Art before they both won scholarships to the Royal Academy Schools where she studied sculpture 1916-1921 winning several medals. Anna received a commission for some plaques from the Wedgwood company and although her designs were awarded a silver medal at the Exposition des Art Decoratifs in Paris in 1925, she decided to specialise in portrait painting and mural work.
In 1935, Anna and her sister Doris Zinkeisen were commissioned by John Brown and Company Shipbuilders of Clydebank to paint the murals in the Verandah Grill of the famous ocean liner the RMS Queen Mary. Their work can still be seen on the ship, now permanently moored in Long Beach, California and she also painted murals for the Queen Elizabeth.
In 1941, during World War II, the Zinkeisen sisters were both employed as war artists for the North West Europe Commission of the Joint War Organisation of the British Red Cross Society and the Order of St John at St Mary's Hospital, Paddington and made pathological drawings of war injuries for the Royal College of Surgeons.
Artist of portrait, figure, landscape and murals and book illustrator she exhibited widely including at the Royal Academy; Royal Society of British Artists; Royal Hiberian Academy; Royal Institute of Oil Painters; Society of Women Artists; Royal Scottish Academy; Redfern Gallery and in the provinces and abroad. Her painting of plastic surgeon Sir Archibald Hector McIndoe is exhibited at the National Portrait Gallery (London) as is her self-portrait.
She married at Marylebone, London in 1928 Guy Robert Nelson Heseltine (1897-1967) and they lived at Looms Cottage, Burgh, Woodbridge in Suffolk. She died at Kensington, London on 23 September 1976.
LiteratureKelleway, Philip - 'Highly Desirable: The Zinkeisen Sisters and Their Legacy'. Leiston Press (2008).
Sir Herbert James Gunn R.A.
1893 - 1964
Portrait of Angela Blundell
Oil on canvas
Image size: 18 x 14 inches
Contemporary Style Frame
The Fine Art Society
Angela worked for Gunn, she was his secretary, saw sitters in and out, organised everything and must have sat for him too on an idle day.
We are gratefull to Chloe Gunn for this information.
Herbert James Gunn was born in Glasgow, 30th June 1893. He studied at the renowned Glasgow School of Art of René Mackintosh fame and subsequently at the Edinburgh College of Art. However, though a Scot by birth and artistic training, Gunn was to develop a style very much his own, an ‘international’ modern style imbued with influences from French Impressionism, modern British painting and his Scottish heritage.
Following his studies at Edinburgh Gunn travelled to Paris enrolling at the Académie Julian under Jean-Paul Laurens.
On his return to England, Gunn rapidly established himself as a leading painter of portraits in addition to landscapes and conversation pieces. Gunn exhibited at the Royal Academy from 1923, at the Royal Scottish Academy and in Paris, where in 1931 he was awarded a silver medal at the Société Artistes Français and a gold medal at the Paris salon of 1939.
Throughout the 1930’s and 40’s Gunn’s reputation as a portrait painter increased, he was to become the portrait painter of choice to Society and the Establishment, in 1953-54 Gunn reached his apogee as a portrait painter with the commission to paint the state portrait of H.M. The Queen.
Gunn was elected to the Royal Society of Portrait Painters in 1945 and President in 1953, the same year being elected ARA and a Royal Academician in 1961, Gunn was also a member of the National Society of Painters, Sculptors and Engravers.
A highly successful artist, Gunn was knighted in 1962 for his services to the arts; he died at his home in Hampstead, London on 30th December 1964.
The Royal Collection
The National Portrait Gallery
The National Gallery, London
The National Galleries, Scotland.
Late 18th Century
Portrait of a Lady
Pastel on paper, mounted on canvas
Image size: 28 x 23 inches
Contemporary style frame
Ernst Museum Auction
This pastel portrait of a lady dates from the late eighteenth century. She is pictured in a white muslin dress in the style made fashionable by Marie Antoinette, after she was painted wearing one in 1783. This could have been quite a daring choice for our subject as at the time Marie Antoinette was much criticised for allowing herself to be seen in attire that was deemed to be too similar to undergarments - indeed the style was called 'la chemise de la reine'.
It is certainly very different from the ornate rococo styles that had previously dominated. The mop cap worn by our subject suggests that she was a married woman, and obviously of some wealth judging by the intricate lace work and silk ribbons adorning her otherwise relatively simple dress.
There is an intriguing label attached to the back of this portrait - 'Ernst Museum Auction'. This suggests that it was once the property of Lajos Ernst, who was a noted Hungarian art critic and collector. During his life Ernst collected 6,500 articles from Hungarian history and art and founded a museum in 1912 to house his collection (the Ernst Museum in Budapest, which still exists today). An auction was held there twice a year between 1917 and 1937.
1879 – 1919
Portrait of Lajla
Pastel, signed bottom right & dated 1913
Image size: 21 x 16 ½ inches (53.5 x 42 cm)
Édouard Henri Louis Morerod was born in Aigle on 16 May 1879 and died in Lausanne on 22 July 1919.
When his father died in 1889, the family settled in Lausanne , where Morerod attended Cantonal College. In 1891, when his mother died, Edward and his sister were sent to boarding school. The young man studied at the Latin College in Neuchâtel, and then at the Cantonal Gymnasium from 1895. However, he passed his baccalaureate in Lausanne. Demobilized from his military service in 1899, Édouard Morerod began studying at the School of Fine Arts in Munich.
In 1900 he went to Paris where he met Steinlen, a great influence on his work. In 1901, Morerod spent three months in Lotarevo in Russia, and from there travelled the country. Before returning to Lausanne, he visited Athens, Rome and Seville. He settled in Paris in 1910, and enjoyed considerable success there with his portraits.
Édouard Morerod travelled to Seville in 1919, but his state of health forced him to return to Switzerland . After a short stay in Leysin, he went down to Lausanne, where he died on July 22, 1919. His body was buried in the Montoie cemetery .
Lausanne, Cantonal Museum of Fine Arts
Lausanne, Historical Museum
Neuchâtel, Museum of Art and History
Pully, Art Museum
Vevey, Jenisch MuseumBordeaux, Museum of Fine Arts
Granada, Alhambra Museum
Paris, National Museum of Modern Art
Late 16th Century
Portrait of a Carthusian Monk
Oil on oak panel, dated 1573
Image size: 10 ½ x 8 inches
Contemporary style frame
An extremely rare portrait of a Carthusian Monk. The painting is dated 1573 in the top left corner and it is noted that the monk is forty-three.
1707 - 1792
Portrait of a Gentleman in a Blue Coat
Image size: 23 x 18 ⅛ inches
Contemporary gilt frame
Hoare was born at Eye, Suffolk, 1707. He was the son of a prosperous farmer and brother to the sculptor Prince Hoare (d.1769). Hoare was a pupil of Guiseppe Grisoni (1699–1769) with whom he went to Italy in 1728. He stayed for nine years, studying under Imperiali and supporting himself comfortably by copying famous masterpieces.
Hoare then settled in Bath 1739 and was its most fashionable portraitist in oil and crayons until the arrival of Gainsborough in 1759, although he remained in demand until giving up painting in about 1779.
Hoare died in Bath on the 9th December 1792, in prosperous circumstances. His son Prince Hoare (1755–1835), also a painter, studied under him and under Mengs in Rome, but gave up painting for writing after 1785.